"What a magnificent invitation to the field of media and communication - full of lively debate and relevant examples yet carefully balanced, comprehensive in scope and thoughtfully explained."
Professor Sonia Livingstone Department of Media and Communications, London School of Economics and Political Science
Order your e-inspection copy on VitalSource. Now in its seventh edition, this landmark text continues to define the field of media and mass communication theory and research, offering a uniquely comprehensive and balanced guide. It maintains the narrative of earlier editions into the world of pervasive, ubiquitous, mobile, social and always-online media that we live in today.
New to this edition:
- An increased focus on conceptualizing 'mass' media and communication and media theory in an age of big data, algorithmic culture, AI, platform governance, streaming services, and mass self-communication.
- Further discussion of the ethics of media and mass communication in all chapters.
- Inclusion of a diverse and global range of voices, histories and examples from across the field.
- More detailed attention to the way media industries work and what it is like to make all kinds of media, including but not limited to: journalism, advertising, film, television, and digital games.
- New and revised material, including a new chapter "A Canon of Media Effects", bringing together Social-Cultural Effects & News, Public Opinion and Political Communication, helping the reader to rethink and reframe the whole idea of media effects and influence.
A vitally important resource for all students of Media and Mass Communication in the 21st century.